Revised Examination Guidelines for Computer Software-Related Inventions, Effective July 1st, 2021
Technologies such as AI (artificial intelligence) and big data have been booming in recent years, and the number of patent applications for computer software-related inventions has increased accordingly. The Examination Guidelines for Computer Software-Related Inventions has thus been updated by TIPO and came into effect on July 1st, serving as a guide for examiners to handle related cases and reference for applicants.
The key points of the amendment include:
- Introduced examination procedure and flow chart for computer software inventions evaluations, supplemented by case examples, as a principle for assessing the eligibility of inventions.
- In line with the principle of TIPO’s assessment of inventive step in the current examination basis, sections “Factors Denying Existence of Inventive Step” and “Factors Determining Inventive Step” are introduced.
- Added AI-related examination instructions and application cases for reference.
- Publish Date : 2021-07-20
- Update : 2021-11-04
- Organization : International Affairs and Planning Division
- Visitors : 1129